Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Strange Bedfellows

It's always been said that politics make strange bedfellows. I've never been able to disagree with that, but I think we should add that Internet chat sites or posting places makes for strange bedfellows too.

Tonight I was chatting with a friend, we met at a TV show website. I've never seen her or the rest of the crew that I chat with regularly. We've been chatting for about a year now. Our little group just moved from one site to another because of some of the strange conversations we encountered.

There are a couple of interesting guys, who shall remain nameless, that were always giving the "noobs" (new people) a hard time. It was not fun to be at the end of their verbal swords, but once you stood your ground, they were accepting and at different times defended my honor when I was attacked by a "troll". I always considered them a rite of passage if you will.

Some people and I use the term loosely here, came to post, and begin a verbal riot! They were usually successful and if not would attack your weight, lack of social life or gender orientation. For those trolls there were a few defenses, correcting the spelling and grammar was always a good one. To embrace whatever insults they threw out was also fun, "So do ya want that deep fried twinkie with whipped cream or dipped in chocolate?"

There are also some wonderful people who post to such places. Last summer a friend's grandbaby was born with many physical complications. Those sweet people kept a prayer thread about the baby on the front page for everyday of the baby's all too short life.

So where am I going with this? Well a book title caught my eye, it was reviewed by Dave Barry Doing Nothing
There are people in my life who feel like I am doing nothing when I am chatting with my online pals, reading the blogs of others or posting to here to my blog, but it is much more than nothing!

I am reminded that my problems are smaller than some, and not too uncommon. I have a chance to respond, exchange ideas, and laugh. So many times I just have to smile at what I read. I think it helps to keep me a saner and more balanced person. What do you think?

3 comments:

EHT said...

I don't feel my time online is doing nothing either. I think my husband started out thinking I was doing nothing but then I began sharing my blog with him and he was amazed at what I was doing. Now he shares it with family and friends. Nothing can beat this community of educators and noneducators at sharing opinions and our little snippets of life, but I do wonder...if you put all of us in a room would be have difficulty in conversation?

Onyx said...

Somehow if we were alll put in a room together, it would be so awesome! Heck we could probabaly come up with a way to revamp the system, increase productivity and have a party all while discussing our favorite books. It would be awesome!

Kim said...

I've gotten more practical bits of advice, wisdom, and encouragement from the education blogosphere than I have from any of my education graduate classes. I tell all my teacher friends about it! I'm so appreciative of my blog-buddies' comments and suggestions.