Tuesday, October 03, 2006

School Shooting

I am really bothered by this most recent school shooting. Maybe because 3 in one week is too much to bear. Maybe because this one was so random. Whatever the reason, I am feeling the same type of emotions I felt after Columbine.

I had not owned a cell phone until Columbine. Two days after Columbine I had a cell phone and a plan for my students. Strangely one class asked what we would do in similar circumstances. I told them and they said they felt better knowing something was planned.

My classroom setup at this school, is entirely different, and I don't know what I would do. I know what the district plan is, and what the plan is if someone came on campus. But I don't have a plan for my room. That bothers me.

I am bothered to think that a plan is needed. I am bothered that a peaceful and law abiding people, the Amish, were the victims of such an attack.

If I though a good cry would help, I'd cry.

I became a teacher with hopes of being able to help shape the future. I am now a teacher who hopes a survival plan will not be needed. I've heard that if one is prepared, one should not fear. I don't know how to prepare for this. I DON'T WANT TO PREPARE FOR ANYTHING LIKE THIS. I know I need to be prepared.

So my fellow educators, how do you feel? Maybe if we talk to each other, some of our fears will be dispelled. This blog is my safe place to be open about these fears. I hope that you reading this will feel a safe haven to share your thoughts.

As an after thought I'll post the URL to my classroom blog. http://narrative-nation.blogspot.com Just in case you want to read what the kids are thinking.

1 comment:

Mr. D'Onofrio said...

The shootings worry me, and remind me of how easily it can happen to me and my students. My school had 2 lockdowns last year because of people who had guns in the area of the school.

And I feel an emptiness when I think of students being killed.