Thursday, October 12, 2006

Super Teacher

Today I felt like Super Teacher! This is what I did. I spent the morning doing number crunching for a report about how well my classes did on a practice achievement test. I do mean all morning! Then I wrote lesson plans for a sub as I will be attending a workshop tomorrow, actually it's a weekend workshop and I'll be driving 6 hours to get there, and we start after dinner!!

The Alternative Placement Center (for long term placements) emailed me and they allowed my student to take the work home (They are NOT supposed to do that!) so I redid 4 weeks worth of assignments, for said student. I have two students who will be in our on campus APC tomorrow, so I had to prepare assignments for those two.

I also submitted grades for progress reports and placed a book order.

The students? You are wondering what the students did, while I did all that? They did a "cold reading". They had two stories to read and answer questions, but they could not ask for assistance! Just like achievement testing! OY!

After I got home my principal called to tell me I had neglected to write how I intend to address the scholastic short comings of some of my students. We bantered a bit and I spouted off a few ideas I had. And as I was doing that I could clearly see a scene from Norma Rae.

It's that scene where her husband is complaining that nothing is getting done at home. So she throws something in a pot and says, "You want cooking? You got cooking!" Then she throws some clothes in the sink, turns on the water and says "You want washing? You got washing!" Then she runs to the ironing board turns on the iron and begins to iron, and says "You want ironing? You got ironing! Now if you hitch up my nightie, we can make love too!"

I swear I think I met myself coming as I was leaving the building!

I want to teach, not dissect reports about who is what minority, or economic level. I want to teach to get their brains engaged and there is so much paper work to do, I frequently think I'm not a teacher. All this number crunching makes me really grumpy!

Plus the very threatening student, who was sent for 20+ days to APC, returned after successfully serving only 5 days! That Child, aka TC, was disrupting their program. TC REFUSED to enter the assigned class! Seriously pitched a fit and refused to enter the room. TC spent the day sitting in the office waiting for the principal to return. When Principal returned, TC continued to sit. TC will soon be returning to my classroom! I am so thrilled (NOT)

I am feeling so overwhelmed it is not funny! I'm going to start singing "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen. Nobody knows my sorrows."

That's how my day went, how was yours??

3 comments:

EHT said...

I'm singing the same song with an additional chorus of "Tote the weary load". I feel your pain regarding the paperwork. I have lumps and clumps of papers all over my room in the various places I perch. I receive over 30 different emails per day (from people within the school building)regarding this form and that form and read this attachment. It's very very maddening.

Onyx said...

goThanks, one reason I started blogging was to know, really know, that I was not alone. For some reason it helps to know that.

On a brighter note, the weekend worshop was superb! Now to balance things out I got called for jury duty!

If it ain't one it's another

Unknown said...

Don't you love it when your discpline attempts are undermined by the "higher ups"? The kids know there are no real consequences and act accordinly.