Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Bad News

Today was a first for me. I received via email information that a former student had committed suicide. I doubt that anybody knew that I had taught the young man. He was my student for three years when I taught at a private school. His class was the best group of students I have ever worked with.

I read the email as my 2nd period class came in. I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. They know what to do, so they just started with the bell work. I started crying and some one noticed. They asked me if I was alright. The answer was no.

I've never lost a student to suicide before. I cannot imagine how much this young man must have been hurting. Sadly a couple of years ago his older brother died in a car crash. As I write I am numb, and I write because it keeps me from crying.

I want to shout why!? I want the world to stop for a moment. This is the second death of a young person in three weeks that I have known. It hurts. The first one was the daughter of a life long friend and now this one. Somehow the car accident is easier to deal with.

1 comment:

Dan Edwards said...

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your former student. Seek help or someone to talk to.....it will help you deal with it.

One of my former kids was kia in Iraq. I know the feeling of losing one of "my" kids.