Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Evening Ramblings

I can't believe I haven't written in a month! School in back in full swing. My classes are pretty good, just the usual stuff to deal with. We've had a couple of pep rallies & I really don't understand the whole cheerleader thing.

I remember cheerleaders from my days in school and they actually got the crowd to cheer instead of being entertainment. Call me strange, but I enjoyed participating at games and yelling with the cheerleaders.

Maybe it's living in the south that makes people believe that cheerleading is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING in a young lady's life. Perhaps it's sour grapes on my part for not being a cheerleader in my youth. I did run for mascot and lost, but then again I didn't need to qualify for the Olympics to participate. I really don't get it.

I went to a meeting about a "special" student today and I'm not sure why we all met. Lumpia has problems, everyone knows it, Lumpia does not want to change at this point in the game and is mad that she is in a meeting with all these adults who ask nosy questions and expect answers. I saw enough eye rolling to last me all year. I felt sorry for Lumpia's gran who attended the meeting. It was obvious Gran wanted to help , but Lumpia is the one calling the shots.

My students read silently (yeah right) as they prepare to take Accelerated Reading tests over the novels they have selected or ignored and are now desperately trying to cram it all in.

We're bracing for the first round of practice exams (gag). It was suggested in a recent faculty meeting that we find the person who decided that THE TEST was the end all be all and shoot that person. Of course I wonder how do I even attempt to meet the needs of students who are reading at such a variety of levels. I"m hanging in there and doing my best, but. . . .

Maragrita Prairie Rose went to a workshop called MAX teaching and has raved about it to me, so she is sending me the book and I sent her lots of great reads to try with her kids. It's a fair trade I'd say.

We're also coming up on Renaissance Festival time and I am looking forward to putting on the hoop skirt and dragging my Cossack with as we have a day or two in another time period.

I guess that is it for now. Let me know how you are doing. I'm going to sleep at 6 pm any more, but I sure am dragging, I think age is catching up with me!

No comments: