Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Feel Like a Real Teacher

Today I felt like a real teacher! I know it may sound strange that as a teacher I don't always feel like a real teacher. Sometimes all the other stuff that a teacher has to deal with gets in the way of teaching, but today, was like a gift!

I taught the Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken". The kids paid attention. They focused, the comments were pertinent, and they were able to "dig deep" as I tell them to see what Frost was writing about, about choices and how the choices they make effect their life.

They understood! I was amazed. I felt like for once I had connected in a very real way with them and they with the poem. It was wondrous! The questions they asked were good, and I feel great about the day.

Funny that something so simple would be so profound. But just the poetry of Frost, what appears simple can be so much more complex. How it happened, I really can't say. Why it happened, I don't know. I know that days like this should happen, and I'm glad they do.

Today I am so grateful to be a teacher. I saw a miracle, the miracle of learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes learning is a miracle. Sometimes it's just plain hard work. Today you saw the miracle side of learning. Every teacher needs one of those days now and then. I'm glad you got yours!

Dan Edwards said...

Nice Job! Good to hear about the positive things that are happening. Have a Great Week~!