Saturday, November 04, 2006

This Week and Other Complications

Friday was not a good day with my last two classes. I was so frustrated I was ready to start swearing! I mean seriously swearing like a drunken sailor. Just the usual, not following directions, coming to class unprepared, kids wanting to be a lump. And then today, I spent an hour and a half trying to track down a med sent through the mail. I had a fit on the phone with about 6 reps from the mail order pharmacy, and the med was here in the house. LB put it in a safe place and didn't tell me it had come. I am so humiliated, I feel ill.

So I've come to confess my sins openly. Oh! And this Friday is my yearly observation, it will be done by our new Asst. Principal. He's the same age as my son! I'm feeling overwhelmed, humiliated, and sick. I might be coming down with a bug. Sometimes I get so frustrated I hyper myself until I become sick. I seriously am feeling "puny" They say confession is good for the soul and I guess I feel better.

No, it's that feeling of wanting to do everything right and good and falling FAR short of the mark. It's not like I'm obsessive-compulsive. I'm not a neat freak. You should see my desk and my living room, kitchen etc. Wait, maybe you shouldn't, I'd rather you think I'm a bit better than that.

I know the holidays are upon us and I have that to deal with. I don't like the changes that will happen with our Language Arts dept next year. I want to feel rested and I don't. Yes I am sleeping, no I am not eating well, because I'm trying to lose weight. It's not that I don't well, I just don't eat much.

What I really feel is powerless, and impotent. I feel my choices are being taken away. Like the pharmacy thing. I have used a local pharmacist for years! I would have remembered filling the prescription. LB was the one who got the mail that day and forgot to tell me. I know it's not a big thing, but I don't like the mail order pharmacy. Sure I could use the local pharmacy, but then I would be paying the full price of the med, which is ridiculous as anyone who has had a prescription filled recently can attest to.

I have one class that frustrates me so much. It's as if some one put all the apathetic kids in one class. Sadly it seems as if all the 6th periods at my school are that way. I've tried everything I can think of, bothered others to get input and finally arranged for the counsellor to talk with them. The bottom line is they don't care. Counsellor offered a movie and popcorn party if they started showing improvement! Right, like that will happen.

Here's another good one. I recently had a conference with both Mum and Daddums, their primary concern was their child be allowed to put on chap stick in class as the "Chap stick Kid" henceforth known as KC, because that child has lips that chap easily! Also the aroma of my class bothers KC. I have a candle warmer in my room and use a cinnamon candle. I read some research stating that cinnamon helped to stimulate the brain.

I told the parents, regular chap stick no problem, but makeup is a problem. Care to guess who had a makeup mirror out to tend to her face??? Mums and Daddums had told her that was okay.

Okay I guess that I have ranted enough. I hope my next blog is much happier. By the way, how was your week?

A big thank you to TMAO of Teaching in the 408 http://roomd2.blogspot.com/ After I read his blog, reality slapped me in the face and maybe my week wasn't as bad as I thought.

2 comments:

Dan Edwards said...

Next week is a new week. Have you discussed the kids with their other teachers ? Is their attitude, mis-behavoior, etc. a common thing with this group?

Just to share with you, I find that having two things to do immediately upon their arrival to my classroom helps....fill out their daily planner and do/begin out opener activity. Walking around the room with a sharpened pencil or two (for those that for whatever reason, don't have something to write with), and making sure they are on task. Then onto the lesson and dealing with attendance, return of work etc. etc. Those that will not follow the rules get sent to one of my time out chairs.
If your students know your rules and routines, which they should by now, start putting one or two in time-out....the rest usually get busy with what they should be doing.

Monday is a new day....! Hope your week is better.

OH, as for the observation by the ap.....if he/she has an issue with something they see, ask them to demonstrate how to fix it. At least in my district, the administrators are the only real educators, the experts, so they know it all.

EHT said...

Are you sure you aren't living my life? Your week sounds like mine. Polski is correct....next week is a new week. It can't get here fast enough.