Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Joy of teaching and working with good kids

Today was a great day! In the grand scheme of things it was not memorable for most people; but for a group of students who competed in a Dramatic Arts Festival, it was a great day!

I coach the students who chose to do poetic readings. My kids did a good job. Each one progressed and matured as a reader and competitor. One half of my team received top honors, the other half received the 3rd level honors. I remember how they started and how they progressed. Most importantly they were proud of their performances . After they had finished they knew what they could have done to enhance their performance, but they felt satisfied with their performance.

It was especially touching to have them discuss what the other competitors did or did not do. I heard echoes of what I had used in coaching them. I heard things like "all you could hear was the sing song rhythm and not the words" or "they never looked up at anybody" or I didn't believe what they were saying it was just words". I wonder if kids listen to the right things and this group did!

I know that I really did very little, a suggestion here, a reminder there, a nudge to practice, but the hard work was theirs and theirs alone. I was impressed with all of the young people I saw compete. I was grateful I wasn't a judge, so many kids who had worked very hard to participate in this. So many hopes and dreams, and these were just first steps into their future.

The sacrifices made by so many for a small portion of the population, but it was worth it! To see the glow of a young girl's face as she received her ribbon for her performance. To know that she had achieved it, with help and support yes, but she did the hard work. It was glorious.

When I work with kids who are not afraid to try, to do something different, I feel optimistic for the future. These young people will grow up and make something of themselves, they will build their own roads of life and not follow an over-worn path. They reminded me again why I do what I do. It really was a great day!

No comments: