Friday, March 17, 2006

Understanding Others

Prayer is something I have done since I was a little child, the now I lay me down to sleep kind; I learned specific prayers as a teacher at a Catholic school, and of course the prayers of my heart. So what is prayer? It is communication with a higher power. The idea of communication is a two way street so to speak. I've been to Israel and was deeply influenced. I just finished listening to Walking the Bible.

As a result of many things I've made a decision to study about Islam. I see what is going on all around me and I want to have a better understanding. I've been reading The Everything Koran Book by Anwar. As I have read that I have found much to agree with, and some that I do not agree with. I have gained a bit of a better understanding of another culture.

As I read I see they have many ideas we would do well to learn from and incorporate the appropriate attitude about those of other faiths. We should learn and study and look for the commonalities. I have not read the Koran, at this point I still need more background knowledge. At this point it is still easier to read about.

I can easily agree with the concept of prayer, the frequency of prayer and the need for prayer. I agree with many of the concepts about marriage and family. I agree with much that I have read. I find that according to the philosophy of Islam I am to be treated as a believer, not a Muslim, but a believer. A believer is a person who believes in one God, and is a part of the judeo-christian philosophy. There are more things, but those two are basic.

No comments: